Here we are

Here we are
Septeber 30 2007

Friday, August 24, 2007

Indiana - When will it be over?

OK, I said we were going to get through Indiana in two days. It is taking a little while longer than expected. The first day this week, Tuesday, I was still in Illinois. I did about 75 miles to Kankakee. However, the next 3 days have been tough, only averaging 50 mile per day. In short, the weather has been horrible. 90 degrees plus with 90 percent plus humidity.
Wednesday, I got sick on the bike. I don’t know if it was something I ate for lunch or a symptom of something to do with the heat. For whatever reason, I got off the bike around 4 o’clock. The next day, Matt was having a tough time. Again, we only did 50 miles or so.
Today it was my turn again. We didn’t get out too early today and I didn’t last more than 7 hours out there, only going 45 – 50 miles. We are approaching the border, but it has been tougher than expected. Ask Matt what it’s like to battle the sun, humidity AND a headwind. I think he will always sympathize with my complaining in the future.
Actually, I think he is beginning to appreciate what I have been doing on a daily basis for 2 ½ months. This is tee first time he has gotten on the bike on consecutive days since we stated the trip. He is making good on his goal to ride across a whole state. If the weather cooperates, he will cross the Ohio border sometime tomorrow.
Best wishes to my Cobra39 teammates from RAGBRAI who are riding tomorrow in the “Hotter Than Hell Hundred” in Texas. Gary, Larry and Hammer will ride over 100 miles with temps about 100 degrees. They are just as crazy as I am, only they will be doing it with a whole lot of other crazy people.
Sorry, there are no pictures today. I know Hammer can’t really read this without pictures, but the camera is still broken. We haven’t gotten to Best Buy to get another. I didn’t get a picture crossing the Indiana border. We rode to several border crossings and couldn’t find a welcome sign. Indiana must have budget problems.
Also, I know we need to get a better picture of me on the bike. My sister, Monica, still doesn’t believe I’m the one on the bike crossing the Mississippi. She swears it’s a stunt double. I figure I will get all these pictures when I get to Ohio. I’ll shoot a picture of the Ohio sign, then turn around and take a picture of the Indiana sign. All these will be done when I am riding a bike. Will that satisfy all requirements?
Anyhow, it’s getting late and I have to roll in the morning. I’ll try to do better with updates in the future.
Till then…

1 comment:

El Martillo Grande said...

Hey I'm doing better, this is the first thing I've read all the way thru that didn't have pictures for me to color in.....Go Joe Go