Here we are

Here we are
Septeber 30 2007

Friday, August 10, 2007

Musings from Nebraska

I left Nebraska today and rode into the first couple miles in South Dakota (obligatory photo to follow) I think I matured a lot as a rider in this state. I also had plenty of time to think.

For Instance:

Where do they get these grasshoppers in Nebraska? I think that the Nebraska football team stopped taking steroids several years ago, so the science Department fed the leftovers to the grasshoppers in an experiment. They escaped and bred with the local grasshopper population. They are HUGE, about the size of frogs. If you get hit by one of them, it can knock you off the bike!!

Expansion joints may be good for the road, but it is hell on the butt.

I must be getting closer to home. I have gone through Bridgeport (CT?), Newport (RI?), Hyannis (MA?) and today Atkinson (NH?) If I go through a Kennebunk the trip is over, even if all these towns are in Nebraska.

There is a new set of road kill here. Turtles for god sake!! And birds (big ones!!)

I haven’t seen much corn. Biking through the corn is like riding a stationary bike. You can pedal for a long time and the scenery doesn’t change.

Actually, the Sandhiils of northern Nebraska is the most beautiful scenery that I have biked through. I think I would recommend those 250 miles to anyone, just at another time of the year. It is too hot in August!!

I think that motorcycles are a pain. They are everywhere as the annual Harley festival in Sturrgis S. Dakota. They are too loud and too smelly. I think it is like the problems sailboaters have with powerboats. They call them stinkpots, for the same reason I do the motorcycles!!

That's all for now. Later.

1 comment:

Peg said...

I really enjoy your "musings", Joe. Can't believe you've been on the road now for two months. Keep up the good work. It must be fun to see some light at the end of the tunnel as you near the eastern Midwest. Love, Peg