Here we are

Here we are
Septeber 30 2007

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Joe Does A Century

This will be very short. Today I rode for 100 miles. I am exhilarated and exhausted. I started out at 7:30 and didn't get off the bike until 9 PM. This is a badge that I have been aiming for on this whole trip. Most long distance bike riders have done a century.
The boys played golf today, so I was without support. I ran out of water several times because I took a state route here in South Dakota that had no stores. I had to stop at several farms along the way to replenish my water supply. At the first stop, the thermometer read 99 degrees. So I was hot and sweaty most of the day.
I took plenty of water and I was not in danger of sunstroke or heat exhaustion. I know the signs and took it easy. That's why 100 miles took all day.
I am happy, but I have to get back on the bike again tomorrow. I have about 60 miles to go to Rock Rapids, Iowa. That is where we started RAGBRAI several weeks ago. When I cross the line in Rock Rapids, I will have covered all the ground from Florence, OR to the Mississippi. YEE HAH!!
We'll take a couple days off to celebrate and then I will do a better job of posting to his blog.
Till then.

1 comment:

El Martillo Grande said...

You rode 100 miles on a bike in ONE day? That's just crazy!