Here we are

Here we are
Septeber 30 2007

Monday, August 6, 2007

On to Nebraska - On and On and On


Well, I have to put the obligatory picture of the state line in the blog. It’s not a big deal anymore, so the boys weren’t there to take my picture. Trust me, I don’t just cart the bike around to each state line. I actually ride there.
As I said before, I ain’t crazy about riding this state. It’s 600 miles, about the distance of Cleveland to Boston, with nothing in between but corn.. I started the ride on Saturday and the first 22 miles were BEAUTIFUL!! There was a slight tail wind. It was slightly downhill . The road was a country backroad, a real blessing after I-80. I was in heaven and I poured the muscle to the pedals. I did that 22 miles in about an hour, close to double my usual pace. It was a west to east route and so we were still coming down from the Rockies.
Well, then I turned north for the next 25 miles and all of a sudden I was going uphill into a headwind. I will never believe another person who says a state is flat. They discovered 500 years ago that the world wasn’t flat and I feel I am re-discovering that all over again. So I will state emphatically - Nebraska ain’t flat.

I took this news rather badly. In fact, I soon found myself screaming at the shear unfairness of my route. I believe I was having an experience that all long distance people get over time. I believe it was the beginning of a breakdown. The monotony and exertion were doing me in. Most days, I wake up grateful to be where I am. I thank god for the opportunity. There are some days when I can’t believe I was stupid enough to commit to something like this. What the hell am I doing here?
Well, Saturday was one of those days. After I did 70 miles, I knew I had to grab my camera and get away by myself for a while. The camera has been neglected on this trip. I have a little point and shoot that I carry on the bike, but the boys have taken most of the pictures with the big camera. I love photography and it replenishes the spirit. I took off for parts unknown. There are some neat rock formations in the area, so I took off for Chimney Rock. It is a unique formation that was a major landmark on the Oregon trail. I wandered around the back roads taking pictures. An older gentleman rode up in a 4 wheeler and asked what I was doing on his property. When I showed him the camera, he told me to follow him. He had to corral some cattle that got out and I could catch the sunset right over the rock. He knew what he was talking about and I got some nice pictures, not perfect because the light was too low for the best but it was good enough.


The camera did it’s job and I feel sane (relatively) today. Sunday I did 65 miles in some really hot weather. When I got off the bike for lunch around 2 PM, the bank clock said 100 degrees. I didn’t know it was THAT hot!! After lunch and a break, I went out and did another 20 miles to finish up my quota. I called Josh to come pick me up, as I was exhausted. I was walking down the road on the shoulder of the road and half asleep, I never saw the rattlesnake that was lying there. When he gave the ominous rattle that I have only heard in the movies, I knew exactly what it was. I saw the coil come up and I didn’t wait around to see the rest (no, I did not stop to take a picture). I thought I was exhausted, but I must have covered 30 feet in record time. In fact, I think it was in one big leap. I think the adrenaline kept me up for over an hour. That is when I finally stopped shaking. OK that’s another first. I have seen grizzly bears and now rattlesnakes on this trip. Quite an experience for a city boy.
Anyhow, got back and did some laundry and fell asleep. It is now Monday morning and raining. Raining!! I haven’t seen rain since Oregon. Oh yeah, I have seen some thunderstorms, but no gentle rain. I will ride anyway as the temp will be real nice. It will be pretty flat today, so I shouldn’t need the brakes. I got to roll, so we’ll catch up again (again and again) further into Nebraska.
Till then.


No comments: