Here we are

Here we are
Septeber 30 2007

Friday, August 31, 2007

OH--IO

The sign says it all!!

This is one of the milestones that I have been pointing to for my whole trip. Having grown up in Ohio, there are many sights and memories that I want to reminisce about and show the boys.
Tuesday morning, I pedaled the last 20 miles of Indiana and crossed into Ohio at Fort Recovery about 30 miles above I 70. Another 25 miles brought me into Greeneville where I stopped for lunch. Again, it was hot, over 90 degrees. I decided to let the heat of the day subside, so I got a haircut. The barber asked a leading question "So, how far have you ridden that bike?" I was off and running. Remember, I don't have to spend a long time in the barber chair. After he heard my (short) story, he said I should go down to the local paper for an interview.
By then, the boys had arrived after a round of golf (check Indiana off their list) and they convinced me to do the interview. It hasn't been published yet, but the experience was interesting.
Josh wanted to go back to Dayton that night, so we went down the road to find a motel where I could stay the night. We put all my stuff in the room and then went back to Greeneville. There I found out an unsettling fact. I had about 2 1/2 hours of pedaling to do and only about 2 hours of daylight. I put the pedal to the metal and got done with 25 miles in about 1 hr 40 minutes. I have gone faster than that before, but not the last 25 miles of a hot 70 mile day. The temp was still 95 when I started the last leg. I was worn out.
Wednesday showed my low energy. I got started on my nostalgia trail. I biked through Vandalia, where I passed an apartment where I lived while teaching in New Carlisle. Not much to see, so I went on to the school. Talk about disappointing. I knew there would be very little chance of seeing anybody I taught with. It had been over 33 years and most teachers retire after 30. I was right. The only familiar name was an old student who was now on the school board. The biggest shock was that the school was gone too. Apparently Ohio won a huge settlement against the tobacco companies a while back and the money was earmarked for new schools. The district found that it was cheaper to build new schools that repair the old ones, so they tore down every school in the district and built new ones. So, let's see. I don't know anyone there. The building is gone. Not much for memories, I moved on.
I only made it as far as Springfield that day. It was not as far as I wanted, but it was hot and I was still tired from the day before. I knocked off and went to friends, the Hunzikers in Kirkersville, Ohio.


Steve is a longtime friend who lived across the hall in Freshman year of college and we lived in the same area for 4 years. His parents owned a farm close to Columbus, so we went there regularly all through school for good food and good times. Steve's mom, who had MS for all the time I knew her died a few years ago, but Bob, Steve's father is still alive and kicking. It was good to catch up.
Steve and his wife Deb live on the farm now in a house they just built last year. They fixed a wonderful, home-cooked meal and offered to put us up for the time we will be in the area. It was great to catch up and the boys didn't hear too many damaging stories of my past. Deb is a photo nut too and she took a picture of the 3 of us.


We got up the next day way too late. I think I must have needed the rest. We went back to Springfield and biked into Columbus. We had lunch, toured the campus and bought some Buckeye paraphernalia. We then went shopping and made dinner for our hosts that night.
I'm up early today. I couldn't sleep because I am so excited about today. I will bike a short trip into my boyhood town of Newark, then the boys will play golf on the course where I caddied and played my high school gold, Moundbuilders Country Club. It is an interesting course that is situated around Indian burial mounds. Something like that would never be allowed today, but it is a fascinating course for such a unique siting.
So, we have so much more to do and see. Golf today, then we will try to scalp some tickets to see the OSU football game tomorrow, maybe see a Newark Catholic football game tomorrow night. It has been 40 years since my senior year. Our team was the first undefeated team in school history. Since then, they have become a powerhouse in the state. Of course, I attribute it all to our fantastic beginnings.
Anyhow, much to do and so little time. I'm sorry about not keeping up the regular posts to this blog, but there is time here later in the trip, probably New York, where I promise to do better.
Till then.



No comments: